Kung Pao Beef Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Say “so long” to delivery with this simple and flavor-packed Kung Pao Beef recipe from Spoon Fork Bacon, made using New Zealand grass-fed beef.
You can recreate this beloved takeout favorite in just 30 minutes.
For the Beef:
- 1 lb. New Zealand grass-fed flank steak, sliced 1/4-inch thick on a bias, against the grain (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Szechuan pepper
For the Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground Szechuan pepper
For the Stir Fry:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons neutral cooking oil, divided
- 1/4 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 6 dried chiles, halved crosswise
- 2/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
- 2 green onions cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1. Cut flank steak in half (with the grain), then thinly slice steak across the grain (on a bias) into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Transfer the flank steak pieces to a bowl and sprinkle with cornstarch, salt and Szechuan pepper. Toss and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 2. Pour sauce ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together.
- 3. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and flank steak pieces.
- 4. Sear flank steak pieces for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove flank steak pieces from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- 5. Pour remaining oil into skillet and sauté onion and peppers for 3 minutes.
- 6. Add garlic, ginger and dried chiles. Continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- 7. Pour sauce over vegetable mixture and summer for 1 minute, until sauce begins to thicken.
- 8. Add flank steak pieces back into skillet and stir. Lower heat to medium and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- 9. Stir peanuts and green onion into skillet until evenly distributed.
- 10. Remove from heat and serve immediately.