Nourishing Mexican Beef Bowl Recipe
- Servings: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
This healthy Mexican beef bowl is packed with protein and flavor, and ready in just 30 minutes. The grass-fed ground beef has just the right amount of spice and a colorful mix of vegetables adds crunch.
Don’t hold back – you can add almost anything to this bowl! It’s a great way to use up the contents of your fridge or produce bin.
For the Beef:
- 1 lb. New Zealand grass-fed ground beef (Tip: look for the Taste Pure Nature Logo)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes or chili powder
- 14 oz can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 14 oz can black beans
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- Chipotle mayo (optional)
- 1 red chili, such as Fresno or jalapeno, sliced
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
For the beef:
- 1. Heat a dash of oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 2. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and spices and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add ground beef and brown, stirring to break up, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 3. Once the ground beef has browned, add the can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and carrot. Stir until well combined and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 4. Lower the heat and add the corn. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and leave to simmer for 15 minutes. You can cover with a lid to prevent drying out.
- 5. Divide the ground beef mixture into four serving bowls with cooked brown rice or quinoa, cherry tomatoes, black beans, yellow bell pepper and mashed avocado.
- 6. Drizzle with chipotle mayo, if desired, and top with cilantro and sliced red chili. Serve alongside tortilla chips for dipping and lime wedges for extra flavor.